Hot chocolate season is here (!!!), and we might be a little too pumped. We <3 cocoa. It’s warm. It’s cozy. It’s dessert-y. And as if that weren’t reason enough to chuck your usual midday cup of coffee, this recipe is naturally sweetened with maple syrup and made creamy with almond milk. So tell your vegan and refined sugar-free friends to chill; they can partake too.
Oh, and in case you didn’t already know, chocolate + bourbon is a dream come true, so we highly recommend spiking your cocoa—preferrably after 5 p.m.
Spiked Vegan Hot Chocolate
Recipe by: Jamie Webber
Makes: 16 6-ounce servings
Ready in: 10 minutes
1/2 cup cacao powder
1 cup maple syrup
1 tbsp coconut butter
4 cups almond milk
1 ounce bourbon (optional)
1. Combine all chocolate sauce ingredients into a blender until smooth.
2. Add the almond milk to a large pot and start to warm it on the stove, about 10 minutes. Stir often to make sure it doesn’t burn.
3. Once milk is warm, add the chocolate sauce.
4. Stir until the chocolate is evenly mixed in the almond milk.
5. Pour into small mug, sprinkle cacao powder on the top, and add a splash of bourbon.