Serve up an impressive-looking yet super-simple meal that doesn’t take as long as you might think—the steak and rice cook at the same time, and there’s virtually no active prep. Toss together a side salad and serve with a cocktail (a spicy margarita, perhaps?) at your next dinner party… or maybe just for dinner tonight.
Note: Quick-cooking rice is essential to this recipe for its shorter cooking time. Regular brown rice cooks for at least 45-50 minutes.
Skirt Steak and Coconut Lime Rice
Recipe by: Diana Santos
Makes: 4 servings
Ready in: 35 minutes
For the rice:
2 tablespoons coconut oil, divided
1 cup quick-cooking brown rice
1 cup coconut milk
1 lime, juiced
2 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
2-3 sprigs cilantro, chopped
For the steak
1 pound skirt steak
Salt and pepper
1. To make rice, heat 1 tablespoon coconut oil in a medium-size pot over high heat. Add rice, coconut milk, lime juice, and 1/2 teaspoon salt, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium, and cook for an additional 10-12 minutes.
2. As rice cooks, heat a cast-iron grill pan over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon coconut oil.
3. Season steak with salt and pepper. Place in pan, fat-side down. Cook 5 minutes, flip, and cook for another 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let rest 5 minutes.
4. When rice is done cooking, remove from stove with lid on. Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork and add coconut and cilantro.
5. Serve warm steak over coconut lime rice.